Baryta Carbonica is often touted as being helpful for children who may have developmental problems, those who do not follow the norm or average in learning to walk, talk and who lack self-confidence. They are very shy and want to hide behind their mothers’ skirts.
It is also an important remedy in old age, the forgetfulness of the elderly, who cannot remember names, or words, or what they wanted to say. Many of the symptoms will sound familiar to those who have had to care for elderly parents with senile dementia.
The remedy is made from Carbonate of Barium and has been found useful to those who have had to ingest barium sulfate prior to CT scans. If the patient suddenly develops memory problems following such a procedure, a dose of Baryta is said to bring back the intellectual faculties. (1)
Baryta types are very timid, shy and bashful. They have a strong aversion to strangers because their physical and mental functions are diminished, so they are apt to think more slowly than other people, and react slowly. They are not that backward that they are not aware of this difficulty, so they fear that they are being made fun of, or being laughed at by other people. They also think that they are ugly. They prefer to stay at home where they feel secure because they lack self-confidence. They also find it difficult to make up their minds so they come across as being irresolute. They compensate for this by forming rigid routines and habits in order to avoid having to make decisions.
They fear strangers or being placed in a strange social setting because they are stifled by their fear of strangers and this may make them seem stiff and uncomfortable. In children one sees the Baryta child hiding behind her mother’s skirts in the presence of strangers, and in the elderly this aversion stems from memory loss and they may start to act foolishly.
Chitkara (2) lists the following Mental and Emotional Rubrics:
- Absent-minded, when spoken to
- Anxiety, trifles about
- Awkward, drops things
- Cares, worries, full of
- Childish behavior, old age, in
- Concentration difficult
- Delusions: criticized, that he is; people are looking at him; watched, she is being
- Dementia, senilis, talking, with foolish
- Dullness, sluggishness, difficulty of thinking and comprehending
- Fear, apprehension, dread; men, dread, fear of; people of; anthopophobia; strangers of
- Forgetfulness (especially of old people, words; word hunting)
- Frightened easily
- Hide: child thinks all visitors laugh at it and hides behind the furniture
- Infantile behavior
- Play, aversion to play in children
- Prostration of mind, mental exhaustion, brain fag
- Sadness, despondency, dejection, mental depression, gloom, melancholy
- Senile dementia
- Sensitive, oversensitive, mental impressions to
- Serious, earnest
- Sit, inclination to
- Stranger’s presence aggravates
- Society, shuns
- Suspicious, mistrustful
- Timidity, bashful
- Violent rage
- weeping, tearful
The physical symptoms are many, but the signature symptom for this remedy are hard, knotty stools; pulsation and stiffness in the back. (3) Others include:
- take colds easily
- fetid foot sweat
- baldness in young people
- scalp sensitive to touch
- illusion of smoke smelling like pine
- nose bleed prior to menses
- weak digestion
- anus sore and humid
- piles and hemorrhoids
- hoarseness, loss of voice from coughing
- mucus in the larynx and trachea
- violent prolonged palpitation
- cold feet
- enlarged prostate
The causation is suppressed foot sweat. They typically have clammy, cold feet and are worse for cold, damp weather.Worse after eating and mental emotion.
Baryta has cured tumors, especially those in the neck and induration in the breast.
It is a left-sided remedy.
Dosage: In acute physical situations, a 200 C, for ongoing problems I would recommend 30 C.
This is merely an annotated version of the full picture, but it should give one an indication as to the most prominent symptoms, and help to identify the remedy required in the situation as needed. For a comprehensive write-up of the remedy, please see George Vithoulkas’ information by clicking here:
Please remember not to keep taking a remedy once improvement sets in!
Disclaimer: This information is not meant as advice to diagnose or to prescribe; if you have a serious medical condition please consult your physician.
1. Grandgeorge, D. The Spirit of Homeopathic Remedies, Berkeley, California, 1998)
2. Chitkara, H.L. New Comprehensive Homoepathic Materia Medica of the Mind. Jain. New Delhi, 1998
3. Clarke, J.H. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica, Vol I. Jain, New Delhi. 1999.