I do believe Lil-t to be a very effective remedy for women who suffer from the polarities of being very sexual, yet feeling intense shame about it. It may be argued that modern life has removed many of the restrictions women faced about their sexuality and the notion that they ought to feel shameful, but there are still many who are uncomfortable with being who and what they are, and feel they ought to be more pure, especially when religious beliefs play a prominent role in their lives.
The image of the tiger lily, so beautiful, exotic and so open to being fertilized by any passing bee, butterfly or bug, is a doctrine of signatures that is ascribed to this beautiful flower by many homeopaths who have written extensively about the bloom.
The following is a summary of the Lil-t type:
- Bad temper, uses foul language
- Disposed to curse and strike
- Fears that she may have an incurable disease
- Hunts for something to grieve about; self-torture
- Bearing down sensation as if uterus would fall out
- Must support vulva with hand or cross legs
- Aversion to sympathy
- Craves meat
- Thirst may be excessive, desires frequent drinks of large quantities
- Hurried, must be active constantly
- Despair of religious salvation
- Intense sexual desire, suppressed by activity
- Disposition to weep
- Pressure in rectum with constant desire to stool
- Constant desire to urinate with constant pressure
- If desire is not attended to, constriction in chest
- Sensation as if heart were being squeezed in a vice, feels she must bend double
- Sharp pains in ovarian region extending down to he thighs
- Brownish, acrid leucorrhoea
Lil-t belongs to the Plant kingdom, and is a Sycotic miasm.
This beautiful plant originated in the wild, hilly countrysides of China and Japan. Its deep orange petals are spotted with black. The petals curl up when the blooms open, revealing the stamens and pistil of the flower. This reminds me of one of the key symptoms of Lil-t; namely the feeling that the uterus is falling out, and the bearing down pain in the pelvis. The flowers hang down (see illustration) with the “sexual organs” hanging out. Another thing to mention here is that Lil-t is known for its intense sexual urges and on the opposite pole, its sense of religious despair and need for salvation. If you look at the plant you notice its prominent sexual parts, and the fact that the flower head is hanging down, as if in shame.
The name too, Lilium Tigrinum, suggests both animal and plant qualities inherent within the remedy. Sankaran (Soul of Remedies, p.115) writes:
‘While the plant part of the remedy has to do with chastity, purity and religiousness, the animal part has to do with sexuality, with passion”. This creates a strongly polarized tension of opposites, which the Lil-t type tries to sublimate and control through being extremely busy and active.
- Worse: warmth of room; motion; miscarriages; walking; standing; consolation; evening; night; after menses; lying on the right side; crowded places; inaction
- Better for: cool, fresh air; being busy; lying on the left side; sunset; pressing hand to affected part; crossing the legs; sitting down
- Leucorrhoea, which is brown, thin and acrid
- Menses cease when lying down;
- Cold sweats with severe symptoms;
- Marked lachrymation;
- Menses dark, clotted and offensive
- Urine is milky, scanty, hot
The venous circulation; the heart and the female organs, the ovaries and the uterus are most affected. Also the bladder and rectum on the right side. Phatak writes that it is often indicated in unmarried women. (p.357)
- Full, heavy forced out feeling in uterus and ovaries
- As if heart was grasped or squeezed in a vice
- Pains are reversed, e.g. from breast to the scapula
- Wild feeling in the head as if she is crazy
- Eyes feel sprained
- Constant desire to urinate, with sensation of ball in rectum
- Feeling of oppressive load on the chest
- As if there is a lump in the center of the chest moving up and down on empty swallowing.
- As if there is a cool wind blowing on the legs
- Joints feel dry
- Skin of the abdomen feel stiff and stretched
- Feeling of congestion in the chest is desire is no attended to.
Sankaran writes that they are unable to integrate the two opposing sides of their natures, and their intense sexual desire is repressed by activity. There is a great fear about their salvation, and they believe that it is wrong to feel sensual or sexual, and they begin to fear that they may become afflicted with some or other dreadful disease or disaster. (p.115)
The patient may appear listless and inert, yet they may be unable to sit still. They may have a wild look in the eyes. In his experience the patients have often been “portly and plethoric” (Gibson, p.311)
Kent writes that they are extremely nervous, hysterical and over-sensitive (p.701)
- General: All symptoms are acute, intense and pains are described as wandering, flying, shooting or alternately constricting or relaxing, or opening or shutting. (Very active just like the patient!) Symptoms tend to be left-sided
- Head: Headache with fullness and outward pressure, likely to develop in a hot or crowded room; heat rising up from the chest; blinding pain in the forehead above the eyes; pain in the occiput which extends to the neck, feels like a cap pressing on the head
- Eyes: feeling of heat in eyes; photophobia and lachrymation; vision is dim; twitching in eyelids
- Respiratory system: throat feels sore and dry; tendency to sigh frequently; sense of constriction in the chest; sharp pain may penetrate right lung; pains in or below the left breast extending laterally and to the scapula, these are worse when lying down and by lying on the left side.
- Ears: rushing sounds in ears after going to bed
- Throat: hawking of mucus, accompanied by constant nausea
- Stomach: they crave meat, sour and sweet things, aversion to coffee and bread; thirsty before severe symptoms; as if a hard body were rolling around in the stomach during the day.
- Abdomen: sore and distended, cannot bear the weight of covers after menses; weak, tremulous feeling which extends to the anus; heavy, dragging down sensation of abdominal contents extending even to the organs of the chest, feel she must support her abdomen; pressure on rectum with a constant desire to stool; early morning diarrhea after rising, so urgent she cannot wait
- Urinary: constant desire to urinate, with constant pressure on the bladder. Urine is milky, scanty and hot
- Female organs: violent desire, with involuntary orgasms; enlarged ovaries on the left; brown leucorrhoea; copious menses, aggravated by walking; pain in the ovaries extend down the legs into the thighs. Menses too early; flow occurs only in daytime, dark clots and offensive odor. Uterine displacement and prolapse, accompanied by great downward and outward pressure or bearing down sensation in pelvic area, involves rectum and bladder as well, not relived by lying down; vaginismus; pruritis; on the left side the pain may be associated with pain in the left breast
- Male genitalia: complaints from suppression of desire (Vermeulen, p.234)
- Chest: sensation as if heart has ceased; congestion with desire to urinate; constricted feeling in the heart, has a grasping sensation; pain in the heart agg by bending forward; pain extending to the scapula; palpitations amel. while lying in her back and worse lying on her right side; palpitations during pregnancy.
- Extremities: tearing pains or cramps in the limbs; burning sensation in palms and soles; legs ache, has to keep moving them for relief.
Lachesis: worse for rest and inaction, sleep and warmth; symptoms left-sided, may spread to the right; intense photophobia
Lycopodium: biting sarcasm and unkind speech, can be “pigheaded” (Gibson, p.315), over conscientious about their tasks or work; cannot bear to be corrected or opposed; worse for crowds; temper with sudden explosions of anger; hurried but the focus of the remedy is on the alimentary system rather than the reproductive one.
Sepia: bearing down sensation; must cross legs to prevent protrusion of parts; intolerant of sympathy BUT sepia feels the cold more (Lil-t is affected by the heat); Sepia is indifferent whereas Lil-t is hurried and worried about performing her tasks; biggest difference is that Sepia has an aversion to meat whereas Lil-t craves it. The Sepia condition is more chronic, and her bearing down sensation is more passive. (Tyler, p.510)
(Images courtesy of http://all-free-download.com/free-photos/tiger-lily-images.html)
Clarke, J.H. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica, Vol II. Jain, New Delhi. 1999.
Gibson. D. Studies of Homeopathic Remedies. Beaconsfield Publishers, England. 1987
Kent. J. Lectures on Materia Medica. Jain. New Delhi. 1997
Phatak: Materia Medica of Homeopathic Remedies. Narayana Publishers. India. 1999.
Sankaran, Rajan. The Soul of Remedies. 1997. Homeopathic Medical Publishers, Bombay.
Tyler. M.L. Homeopathic Drug Pictures.Jain. New Delhi. 1997
Vithoulkas, George. The Science of Homeopathy. 1999. Grove Press, New York.